Spicy Chicken Burgers (with a twist)
You Guys! I’ve been so quiet here for most of summer, its also because of a new adventure I took upon myself…too soon too fast, something that wasn’t ever on my bucket list. I’ll spare the details for another blog post.
Its no news that burgers of all kinds are possibly my favorite make ahead meal prep foods, eat it over a bun, toss them over a salad, with breakfast eggs or even snack on some leftovers. There are two vegan burger recipes on the blog that are also great make ahead options, these beetroot and lotus root burger recipes are super!
This recipe has a twist, it doesn’t use ground chicken but cooked chicken! Yes, trust me this is a game changer in terms of taste and meal prep. I typically boil the chicken over the weekend and whip these together on busy weekday evenings…so easy! The ingredients are nothing fancy either – boiled chicken breast/thigh, fresh green chilies (cause I like spicy), red onion, fresh cilantro, egg, ginger, garlic, salt, paprika, turmeric, coriander powder, garam masala (optional).
To boil the chicken, place in a pot and cover with water or even chicken broth, bring to boil on medium heat and then reduce the heat and cover with a lid. The chicken should take about 10-15 minutes to cook through.
In a food processor, first add chopped red onion, green chilies, ginger, garlic, salt and pulse.
Then add the remaining ingredients – boiled chicken pieces, egg, spices and grind into a coarse mixture.
This is what the ground mixture should look like, let it sit for 10-15 minutes in the refrigerator, this helps the egg to bind all ingredients. Then shape the ground mixture into a patty of any size you prefer, I usually like it smaller if its over a salad, slightly larger for a bun.
Heat a grill pan over medium heat and add coconut oil, cook the patty for about 4-5 minutes on each side…done! My preferred way of serving this is over a spring salad or lettuce with onions, tomatoes and a dash of lime juice.
- 1 Lb Chicken Breast/Thigh
- 1 Small Red Onion
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Inch Fresh Ginger
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 2-3 Spicy Green Chilies
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- Salt to Taste
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala (Optional)
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- Cut the chicken into medium size pieces.
- Boil chicken pieces for 10 minutes in half cup water (or chicken broth) and a pinch of salt.
- In a food processor add - chopped red onion, green chilies, cilantro, ginger, garlic and pulse couple of times.
- Then add the chicken, all other spices, salt, an egg and grind until it the mixture has a coarse texture.
- Let the mixture sit for few minutes in the refrigerator.
- Form the mixture into patties of any size you prefer.
- Heat oil on a grill pan and shallow fry the patties for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Serve over a salad or bun.