Chipotle Chicken Street Style Tacos
Tacos are hands down my favorite food in the whole world, but of course they have to be street style tacos! Which means, warm soft tortillas, well seasoned and charred meat (carne asada or chicken being my preferred ones), topped with finely chopped red onions or pico de gallo, cilantro and a squeeze of lime…sooooo good.
The highlight of this recipe is this 3-C Spice Blend, I know its not always conducive to make spice blends from scratch, but if you do have them pre-made then recipes like these are a joke. Trying not to toot my own horn but I’ve probably never tasted chicken so flavorful, I think its a combination of the spice blend and cooking chicken in a cast iron skillet.
So this is the 3-C Spice Blend – Chipotle peppers, coriander seeds and cumin with some fresh garlic. I make this in small batches to maintain the freshness and try to store it in the refrigerator if I’m not going to use it within a week’s time.
For tacos I either like using ground chicken or these thin chicken fillets, marinated in a paste made using the 3-C Spice Blend, a tomato, fresh cilantro and salt.
Marinate the chicken for at least an hour or overnight, this helps the chicken absorb flavors of the marinade.
I cooked the chicken in a cast iron skillet for 5 minutes or less on each side and then cut it into strips. Buying my first cast iron skillet earlier this year is possibly the best decision I made! It enhances the flavor of anything you cook in it by leaps and bounds.
For the tortillas I used Siete coconut and cassava tortillas. The almond flour tortillas are great to, I typically buy a mix pack 3+3 of each kind and store them in the freezer. These are serious life savers! I’ve attempted cassava tortillas from scratch but nothing tastes like the ones from Siete.
Warm the tortillas on a pan on low flame or in the oven, top them with chicken pieces, pico de gallo or just red onions and lime wedges. This is certainly on my list of comfort foods!
- 2 Lbs Chicken Breast Fillets
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- For the Marinade
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Cup chopped cilantro
- 3 Tbs 3-C Spice Blend
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Small Red onion, chopped
- 1 Small Tomato, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Lime juice
- Salt to taste
- 8 Corn or Cassava Tortillas
- In a food processor, add 3-C Spice blend, cilantro, tomato and salt and blend to make the marinade.
- Marinate the chicken with the mixture for 30 minutes or overnight on the refrigerator.
- Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet and cook the chicken for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces.
- Warm the tortilla in a toaster over or over a pan.
- Mix all the pico de gallo ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Top the tortilla with chicken, pico de gallo and lime juice.