Chicken – Sweet Potato Stew (Instant Pot Recipe)
I’m always on the look out for healthy food that can also satisfy the taste buds. There are days when I want to break the monotony of eating the same thing for lunch over and over again, so on one such day I pinged my friend Shweta of The Weekend List. She of course obliged with this wonderful chicken-sweet potato stew recipe, I’m loving this and plan to make it a lot more in the upcoming winter months.
In Shweta’s words – “This chicken stew is easy and hearty with all the good stuff and none of the bad. It’s an instant hit with those craving comfort food and looking to eat healthy at the same time! And to top it all it’s so damn easy!”
I think the key ingredients of this stew are the whole spices, they add so much flavor! The recipe calls for – bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, black cardamom (different from green cardamom), black peppercorns, star anise, fresh garlic and hot green chillies.
The sweetness from the sweet potatoes blends well with the spice from the whole spices.
I used more of the boneless chicken with a few on the bone for that flavorful broth.
I made this stew in the Instant Pot (IP), however you can cook it in a sauce pan or use a pressure cooker. for this recipe I first used the IP in sauté mode to fry the spices and onion in oil.
Fry the onions till the onions loose their color, make sure to adjust the sauté mode so its either on Less or Normal. I once sautéed on ‘More’, it got hot really fast and everything started to stick to the steel bottom of the pot.
Then add the sweet potato pieces, tomato and chicken and cook for a few minutes.
Add water and close the lid, then cook it in Poultry mode – this should be 12 minutes. Once the chicken is cooked, the Instant Pot will automatically switch to the “Keep Warm” mode. Allow the pressure to release naturally or use the quick release.
Once you open the lid, add ghee, a pinch of sugar and serve while its still hot.
- 2 Cloves grated garlic
- 1 Tbsp grape seed oil (or any cooking oil)
- 1 Star anise
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Stick of cinnamon
- 2 Green chillies - slit
- 1 Tsp of whole peppercorns
- 3 Cardamom pods
- 2 Lb Chicken (on the bone gives more flavor but boneless is just fine)
- 1 Large sweet potato - cubed
- 1 Medium red onion - finely sliced
- 1 Tomato - finely chopped
- 2 Cups water
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of sugar (optional)
- 1 Tsp of butter or ghee
- Put oil in a saucepan/pressure cooker/Instant Pot, add the garlic, then all the whole spices and sauté.
- Add the onions and tomatoes and green chillies and sauté till the onions loose their color
- Add all the chicken pieces and cook till they loose the raw look.
- Add the water, cover and let simmer till chicken and potatoes are cooked. If using a pressure cooker wait up to three whistles. If using the IP then cook in 'poultry' mode.
- Once ready, add salt and pinch of sugar.
- I always add a tsp of organic ghee or butter at the end...good fats mean no botox frozen face!! And it doubles the flavor!