Apple Crisp (Paleo)
There are five ways in which I like eating apples:
- Slices of apple slathered with some creamy almond butter
- Microwave chopped apples for 2 minutes and top with coconut butter and raisins
- Apple pie
- Apple and cashew milk smoothie
- And this yummy APPLE CRISP!
I got a bag of juicy honey crisp apples from Trader Joe’s and knew they had to be turned into something good. The reason I really like this recipe is cause it works for breakfast too, it’s not overly sweet and most of the sweetness is derived from the apples. Honey crisp apples are very crisp and aromatic with a sweet-tart flavor.
This recipe is very clean with minimum ingredients, in fact you can avoid using any sweetener but I used my favorite date syrup and it’s also super easy to put together.
The only effort this recipe really requires is peeing and chopping the apples, and there were quite a few to chop. But oh well, you gotta work hard for all the good things! I squeezed half a lemon on the chopped apples so they don’t change color.
The apples were spiced with grated organic ginger and ground green cardamom, this is totally optional but adds tons of flavor. Also, I’m biased to cardamom but you can use cinnamon instead.
The crisp topping is nothing but almond flour, coconut oil or ghee, date syrup and a pinch of sea salt.
Then just top the almond flour mixture on the chopped spiced apples and bake, that’s it! Yes, that’s how easy and guilt free this apple crisp is. This recipe is loaded with fiber and healthy fats, eat it for breakfast, dessert or even as a snack.
- 5-6 Medium size honey crisp apples - peeled and chopped
- 1/2 Lemon - juice
- 1 Tsp Green cardamom powder
- 1 Tbsp Grated Ginger (optional)
- 2 Cups Almond flour
- 1/4th Cup Coconut oil or ghee
- 2 Tbsp Date Syrup or agave
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Place the apples in an 8 inch baking dish and mix in the lemon juice, cardamom and ginger.
- In another bowl combine the almond flour, sea salt, coconut oil, date syrup and mix until crumbly.
- Crumble this almond flour mixture on the apples.
- Cover and bake for about 40-45 minutes. Check after 40 minutes, the juice from the apples should be bubbling.
- Can be served warm with vanilla ice cream.